For my Kiwanis service club, we were going to have our first silent auction to raise money for several programs that were geared to helping children. I went to several local businesses asking if they would like to donate some items for the auction, and this included asking the local art studio. The owner was extremely generous by letting me hand paint a serving platter to go in the basket along with two items for the people to paint themselves along with a gift card to the studio!
Since this platter was going to be in the silent auction, I wanted to keep the color palette simple. One of the studio workers suggested a lovely Robin’s egg blue color for the base (most people love blue), and I was planning on doing my doodle flowers in black. You can see the brown water-soluble marker outline I freehanded in the image below. This helped me because originally I thought I would only do half the design on one side but decided to cover most of the plate in the doodles. Even if I had decided not to paint everything I drew with the marker, it would be all right because the kiln makes the marker disappear completely.
Even though I am using black glaze, I still did about 3 coats of glaze on the outlines. I was so excited to see how the blue and the black would look after the glaze and firing!
Once fired, it looked absolutely beautiful, and I almost felt sad it was going to the auction! Lol! I was still proud to place it in the art studio’s basket (which was a beautiful red one that I found at the thrift store!). The auction was a great success by the way! We were able to make about $4,000 that night. Not bad for our first silent auction!