At the end of last year, I was asked to create a sample plate for the art studio I frequent that has a pottery painting section for their customers. Of course, I was thrilled to have a chance to paint more pottery since it is now my obsession! Choosing fall like colors, I sponged about 4 different colors onto the plate (which is a really fast way to get your glaze on the bisque). Of course, I sponged about three layers of color for each spot and waited until it was completely dry before I took a water soluble marker to draw out my doodle design I had in mind. Once it is placed in the kiln, the ink from the marker will burn off and you won’t see any trace of the lines. If you make a mistake in your line work (which you see below), it will not affect your final piece.
Didn’t want to get too carried away with the doodle since customers may try to mimic the plate. I wanted to try out one of the dark green glazes instead of using black on top of the autumn colors, but I was a little worried that it wouldn’t be strong enough to go over top of the other glazes. Just in case, I went over the lines three times to make them as dark as possible.
Work in Progress: Sample Plate
Above is what your pottery will look like after you have covered it in glaze but you haven’t fired it. The colors will always be more on the pastel side at the beginning. Once they have been placed in the kiln the colors will become more vibrant.
It turned out beautifully! I loved how textured the background ended up being because of using a natural sponge to place the color onto the plate. In the final image, the dark green looks black, but it did turn out well. It has been at the studio for several months now, and it has been cool to pop into the studio and see it hanging on the wall.
Final: Sample Plate
For my Kiwanis service club, we were going to have our first silent auction to raise money for several programs that were geared to helping children. I went to several local businesses asking if they would like to donate some items for the auction, and this included asking the local art studio. The owner was extremely generous by letting me hand paint a serving platter to go in the basket along with two items for the people to paint themselves along with a gift card to the studio!
Since this platter was going to be in the silent auction, I wanted to keep the color palette simple. One of the studio workers suggested a lovely Robin’s egg blue color for the base (most people love blue), and I was planning on doing my doodle flowers in black. You can see the brown water-soluble marker outline I freehanded in the image below. This helped me because originally I thought I would only do half the design on one side but decided to cover most of the plate in the doodles. Even if I had decided not to paint everything I drew with the marker, it would be all right because the kiln makes the marker disappear completely.
Even though I am using black glaze, I still did about 3 coats of glaze on the outlines. I was so excited to see how the blue and the black would look after the glaze and firing!
Once fired, it looked absolutely beautiful, and I almost felt sad it was going to the auction! Lol! I was still proud to place it in the art studio’s basket (which was a beautiful red one that I found at the thrift store!). The auction was a great success by the way! We were able to make about $4,000 that night. Not bad for our first silent auction!
If you have seen the previous post, then you know I doodled on a t-shirt as a birthday gift to my best friend. She happened to see some of the Doodle Bags I had all over my drawing table and instantly wanted the pink one! I didn’t even get a chance to take a picture of it yet so forgive the quality of the photo. The response to my bags has been immense and the fact I moved into a new house has really crimped my goal of getting an Etsy shop up and running for my Doodle Bags. Meanwhile, enjoy the bag bought by my first customer, my best friend, Michelle! 😀
Front of the bag:
Back of the bag:
Michelle trying it on for size: